What's the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 14 00:55:29 BST 2009

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> posted
880dece00907130721h41d41968t7c13aa613322803d at mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:21:05 +0300:

>> You know, _IF_ someone with the knowhow to to do so wanted to take over
>> KDE 3.x, or any part thereof, and keep it alive they would certainly be
>> free to do so. It appears there are enough people bemoaning the "loss"
>> of 3.x to make a user base for such a project.
>>

> Great, start a project. Post a link to the project's homepage and
> relevant info here so that I can pass it on to other users. My energies
> go into defining what is missing from KDE 4 and improving that.

I've wondered about that too.  Several distributions are going to be
doing it, to some limited extent for some period, anyway.  Seems someone
could at minimum make a FLOSS name for themselves by taking advantage of
the public KDE offer I've seen several times to get commit rights and
keep maintaining it right there.  Whether they could make money is
another question, but certainly, with at least some of the distributions
and current biz/gov installations, someone's going to be doing the work,
and it might as well be in the official upstream location, rather than
split up all over the net, with some duplication and etc. of work, and it
IS a great opportunity to establish a reputation.

Unfortunately, I can bug file, but don't code, so that someone isn't me.