What's the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Jul 13 14:50:46 BST 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Additionally, even if some applications are no longer maintained by their
>> original developers, they could still be maintained by people having an
>> interest in keeping them available, e.g. developers at Red Hat, Novell, KDAB,
>> Credativ, etc.
>>
>> This is, after all, one of the key features of Free Software.
>> And one of the few working business models around it [1].
>>

> 2006: Hey buddy, want to save a bundle? Come use our free OS and
> desktop! All the apps you need, at no cost and the freedom to modify
> them as you see fit!
>
> 2009: Hey buddy, the dev stopped supporting the software that you now
> depend on? I can maintain it for you, only $xyz per issue.

You know, _IF_ someone with the knowhow to to do so wanted to take over
KDE 3.x, or any part thereof, and keep it alive they would certainly be
free to do so. It appears there are enough people bemoaning the "loss"
of 3.x to make a user base for such a project.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,