performance problems with ATI Radeon r300

Andrew Mason slackmase2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 15:13:11 BST 2009

Yes it is really annoying, unfortunately its mostly a case of the free
drivers not really being up to the task (yet, they are improving ) ,
and AMD not caring about older models in their binary drivers.

Basically xorg is in a bit of a flux and even the Intel cards are only
now getting back to the sort of performance they previously were, AMD
cards will follow but it's harder for them as the guys working on the
Intel cards are actually from Intel. The guys working on the AMD cards
are working for red hat, so they have to go on the documentation
provided by ATI, and do their other work  at the same time.

It's awesome that KDE are taking a no hacks approach. It just sucks
that the time that KDE became stable was when Xorg was also in flux.