Kpilot , OpenSync and sync in general

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jan 20 09:53:46 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Andrew Mason wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I've seen a few journal posts on the planet etc.. detailing the
> amazing work done on kpilot for 4.x.
> This is fantastic . Unfortunately I'm sure that many people these days
> don't currently own a palm, so I was wondering what status was like on
> the kitchensync / opensync front. Is this still in active development
> ? I noticed that there were a few blockers with the 3.5x kde pim suite
> that made it difficult sync properly but I was under the impression
> they were resolved in the kde 4.x branch. Can anyone comment on this ?
> If it is at a point where people who don't have x no of devices can
> help then I would love to join in.

The rather unfortunate situation is that KDE, and probably other end user
software projects, are in a kind of limbo caused by the OpenSync project's
delay of their 0.40 release.

It was planned to be released in fall 2008 and several KDE PIM developers had
a work meeting with OpenSync people in Berlin to make sure the KDE PIM
components were up to date.
Unfortunately OpenSync did not only not finish in time, there seems to be no
plan or even committment to do it any time soon.

If anyone comes across a more actively maintained syncing framework, I am sure
the KDE PIM people would appreciate hearing about it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring