Kaffeine DVD/CD Issues

Barry Premeaux bpx at basicisp.net
Thu Jan 15 05:32:48 GMT 2009

Bob Stia wrote:

> Hi Barry and John,
>
> It's been a long long time since I've had to configure audio from CDs but, has
> the technology become so advanced that you no longer need the audio cable
> from the DVD/CD device to the motherboard?
>
> Maybe as simple as that.
>
> Bob S

I recall the issue about the audio cable.  But, I would think if that
were the problem here, Kaffeine would open and play.  I simply wouldn't
have any audio.  In this case, Kaffeine opens and when I attempt to
play, I get a 'signal 11 (SIGSEGV)' error.  When using the external USB
DVD/CD drive, putting in an audio CD gives me a popup window that has
numerous options from using K3B to Amarok to Kaffeine.  If I click on
the 'Play Audio Cd with Kaffeine', it runs just fine.  If I tell it to
do nothing and go to the menu to open Kaffeine, it plays correctly as well.

When I put it in the internal DVD/CD drives, it is simply seen as a
blank disk and I only have K3B options from the popup and Kaffeine
errors out.  Would the choice of audio path cause this kind of response?

Barry