KDE4 : Association of file types to applications

Guido Pinkernell guido.pinkernell at gmx.de
Fri Jan 9 21:41:09 GMT 2009

Am Freitag 09 Januar 2009 17:24:49 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Friday 09 January 2009 16:02:28 Guido Pinkernell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > does kde4 lack the possibility of associating file types to applications?
> > I have checked a few sources (among them the ML-archives), and it says
> > somewhere that although early version of KDE4 did in fact not provide
> > such an option, from kde 4.1 there must be an option in the
> > kcontrolsettings. However, I simply can't find it. Apparently it ist not
> > installed:
>
> KDE4 doesn't use kcontrol.  It uses systemsettings.

Sorry, Anne, my translation of my German KDE version was wrong.
I do mean systemsettings.

> > guido at amilo:~> kcmshell4 filetypes
> > findServiceByDesktopPath: filetypes.desktop not found
> > kcmshell(3491)/kcmshell (kdelibs) locateModule: Could not find module '
> > "filetypes" '.
> >
> > This is on KDE Version 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 69.2"
>
> Open systemsettings, Advanced tab, and there, on the top row, you'll find
> File Associations.

It's not there. That's the problem. In fact, it seems that it is not
installed, as the command line version of systemsettings, kcmshell4 filetypes,
returns with an "could not find module" error (see above).

I have checked with YaST2 which kde package contains the missing
filteypes.desktop file. The only package is kdebase3. No kdebase4 existent,
and the other kde4 packages do not contain a filetypes.desktop.

Hm. Since your systemsettings does offer a file association option, would you
mind checking which kde4 package provides the filetype.desktop on your
computer?

Thanks!

Guido