Turning off or setting automounting in KDE4 to read-only

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Jan 9 16:12:09 GMT 2009

Am Freitag, 9. Januar 2009 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Friday 09 January 2009 14:53:11 Kishore wrote:
> > On Friday 09 Jan 2009 7:24:50 pm Scott Pancoast wrote:
> > > I want to set KDE4 up so that it will not automount a device
> > > (e.g. thumbdrive) or at least change the configuration so the
> > > device is mounted
> > > Read only.
> >
> > Strange. KDE4 has never automounted a drive for me. It only shows
> > when a new device is plugged in but mounts it only when I choose
> > to open it in dolphin.
>
> However, looking at Scott's signature, I can see why he'd want it
> to mount read-only (my imagination running riot :-) ).  Is that
> possible, I wonder?

It was possilbe in the old KDE3 days. There was a property dialog for
e.g. USB-Sticks where you could set UID, permissions and read-only
flag.

The more you have to do with security and forensic IT stuff the more
you need a read only access to the data to not damage something by
accident. My very old USB stick hat a litte switch to enable read only
access.

> Anne

Martin