Video player

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 17:05:06 GMT 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 16:29:43 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Thursday 2009 January 08 10:09:00 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >My intention is in filing an Akonadi-related integration feature
> >request, so I am looking for the flagship KDE video player to file
> >against.  Are
> >there any full-featured video players shipped with KDE?
>
> To the best of my knowledge: Not currently.

Don't know why I bother really but where ever you post you need to grasp the
front end bit I mentioned earlier. The other bit that actually does the work
might be called the back end. As far as I am aware there are only 2 back
ends. Xine and Mplayer. Maybe Kevin could chime in on that point. Clearly the
facilities available in the back end limit what can be done in the front end.
The front end may not even make use of all of the facilities available in the
back end. Mplayer and it's associated code will do all sorts of things for
instance. This front end back end arrangement applies to most kde apps even
k3b.

On flagship apps. KDE is a DESKTOP that runs apps as is Gnome and a number of
others. As far as I'm aware Kaffeine is the most fully featured KDE video app
and is likely to remain so. That's where you should post but if your changes
fall outside of the pure video features that Xine can provide maybe you need
to post there as well. Me I long for a fast and slow play facility.

John