Question about KDE 4.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:28:00 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 17:58:36 Rex Dieter wrote:
> David Carlos Manuelda wrote:
> > For example, since I click the K button to raise menu until the menu is
> > raised, it is a second or two. The same when running dolphin and clicking
> > in folders for example. I don't note this too much while running them
> > inside a 3.5.10.
>
> I've never seen such operations take more than an instant, regardless of
> which DE is in use.
>
> I would venture there's a different explanation other than the general
> "kde4 is slower".

I'd agree with that statement.  All the same, there is something  very
peculiar, and I've no idea how to troubleshoot it.  I have F9 on one box and
F10 on a netbook.  I had Mandriva 2008.1 on this laptop, and now I have
Mandriva 2009.  The first three do not have 3-5 second dead-spots, yet this
laptop does.  I can work quite happily for some time, then something silly
happens, like an empty window for maybe 5 seconds before the pinentry box
comes up.  It's not a show-stopper, but it's extremely annoying.

Someone on IRC has suggested that it may be because this laptop has an ATi
Radeon X600 video, which is not particularly well supported (it is from before
the day that ATi began to realise they need us).  It was said that I'm
probably having to do extra software processing to make up for its faults.  Do
you think this is a likely explanation?

Anne