creating custom icons for kde 4 desktop

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Feb 19 08:11:53 GMT 2009

On Thursday 19 February 2009 17:48:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >  > > Rick Miles wrote:
> >  > >> I have asked about this on two threads and apparently no one else
> >  > >> saw it as an issue but AFAIC it is really handy among other things
> >  > >> to hit an icon that will open up a browser at a predefined URL.
> >  > >
> >  > > I can do that just fine here. Right-click on desktop, "Create
> >  > > New->Link to location". I enter "http://www.google.com/linux" and
> >  > > there, I just created it. I double-click it, Firefox opens up
> >  > > google/linux. You select the icon, press F2 and can rename it to
> >  > > whatever you want (you don't need to keep the ".desktop" suffix).
> >  > > You can also right-click and in the properties select another icon
> >  > > for it.
> >  > >
> >  > > This is with vanilla, unmodified KDE 4.2.0.
> >
> > You must have a different brand of vanilla I can't do that on my desktop
> > but I can do that in the folder ~/Desktop which the kde docs Anne
> > referred me to say to use that method as a workaround if one wants that
> > kind of kde 3 desktop functionality on a kde 4 desktop.
> >
> > I think this may be a point of confusion desktop or the folder ~/Desktop
> > on the desktop.
>
> Your desktop can be whatever you want it to be.
 and I don't want to have to put a folder named anything on top of it to be able
to add my own icons to it.

> You can have
> ~/.desktopicons instead of ~/Desktop.  I don't see where the problem is,
> if there is a problem at all.

The method you prefer is discussed in the KDE docs under the heading " If you
prefer a Classic, KDE3-style Desktop" I don't. I'd rather learn how to work with
KDE4 but not be constrained with what I can do.

For example, I want a home icon that will open up konqueror with my home directory
and I want it in Quicklaunch on my panel. I have a diamond crystal 42x42 home.png
in my local icons directory.

This would be easy the way you want to do it into a folder using foldview to paste
a folder across the entire desktop. However, that method won't work for installing
an icon in the quicklaunch applet.

A file named home.desktop with the lines below saved into /usr/share/applications
gives me an icon I can put in quicklaunch using the KDE quicklaunch add applet
selection/menu and when I select it I get my home directory in konqueror.

There is no folderview in Quicklaunch.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Home
Comment=Home Directory
Exec=/usr/bin/konqueror ~/
Icon=/usr/local/share/icons/home-42.png
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network;

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Need a carpenter, painter or handyman?
http://rickmiles.com.au

Written on Setting Orange, the 50th of Chaos, 3175
Celebrate Chaoflux
http://turtlespond.net