creating custom icons for kde 4 desktop

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Feb 19 06:29:07 GMT 2009

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Rick Miles wrote:
> >> I have asked about this on two threads and apparently no one else
> >> saw it as an issue but AFAIC it is really handy among other things
> >> to hit an icon that will open up a browser at a predefined URL.
> >
> > I can do that just fine here.  Right-click on desktop, "Create
> > New->Link to location".  I enter "http://www.google.com/linux" and
> > there, I just created it.  I double-click it, Firefox opens up
> > google/linux.  You select the icon, press F2 and can rename it to
> > whatever you want (you don't need to keep the ".desktop" suffix).
> > You can also right-click and in the properties select another icon
> > for it.
> >
> > This is with vanilla, unmodified KDE 4.2.0.

You must have a different brand of vanilla I can't do that on my desktop but I can
do that in the folder ~/Desktop which the kde docs Anne referred me to say to use
that method as a workaround if one wants that kind of kde 3 desktop functionality
on a kde 4 desktop.

I think this may be a point of confusion desktop or the folder ~/Desktop on the
desktop.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Setting Orange, the 50th of Chaos, 3175
Celebrate Chaoflux
http://turtlespond.net