different kde environment

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 17 10:48:44 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Software team wrote:
> I would like to use different kde contexts, within the same kdm session.
> I guess i should create different .kde-<topic> directories and entering
> scripts as the following:

> KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/<topic> /usr/bin/konqueror
>
> Is that a correct solution?
> Is that the same with kde 3.5 and 4?

I think it is the same for both major versions, but you will have to test if
this works correctly if you do this with the same version running as the same
user in parallel.

For example it might be necessary to also start certain infrastructure
processes within the second environment and depending on the process that
might not be possible (access to some resource only one process can claim at
a time)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring