Plasma extremelly unstable

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 10 19:48:02 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 19:37:09 David wrote:
> On Martes 10 Febrero 2009 20:31:41 Anne Wilson escribió:
> > On Tuesday 10 February 2009 17:11:14 David wrote:
> > > Hi there, I don't know if someone is having same troubles like me, but,
> > > for me, plasma (plasmoids) are extremelly unstable.
> >
> > It's not all perfect, but I'm certainly not seeing plasma as extremely
> > unstable.
> >
> > > When running with a theme (downloaded through the built in assistant
> > > for downloading themes from kde-look) named "Oxyglass" after a while,
> > > all plasma freezes (plasmoids are no longer updated (the CPU one for
> > > example, the clock either...) but you can still click in the task
> > > manager to raise/minimize windows despite it is frozen).
> > > It is really weird and annoying, since plasma restarts itself.
> > > I don't know if it's a theme problem, or a plasma problem handling the
> > > theme, but I want to solve this, since the command I most use is
> > > "killall plasma && plasma" from a konsole or krunner :(
> > > Any ideas/workarrounds?
> > > (Using KDE 4.2.0 from gentoo)
> >
> > I suspect that what theme and/or desktop effect is stable on your system
> > might depend heavily on your video hardware.  I would seriously suggest
> > that you experiment with both, keeping note of what is more stable than
> > others.  A combination of that info together with note of your video card
> > and driver could be very useful to others.
> >
> > BTW, I didn't see any mention of either video hardware or driver.  What
> > are you using?
> >
> > Anne
>
> I am using the lattest nvidia-driver (which solved at least all of hardware
> rendering issues).
> The problem started when I configured some themes for kde (it did not
> happen in a clean install), so maybe is a theme handling or a failure in
> the theme itself?

While nvidia have done quite a bit of work on the problems, I don't think they
are completely solved.  It's my guess that some themes will handle the nvidia
driver better than others.  Are you absolutely certain that the free drive
will not work for you?  You are just going to have to do quite a lot of
experimentation, I'm afraid.  However, please do report your conclusions.
Cooperation between nvidia users on this sort of thing would be extremely
helpful.

Anne