[4.2.0] "The key you just pressed isn't supported by Qt"

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Sun Feb 1 04:07:12 GMT 2009

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> I'm trying to bind the "Web/Home" key of my keyboard so it starts
>> Firefox when I press it.  Works fine in KDE 3.  In KDE 4.2.0, I get this
>> instead:
>>
>> "The key you just pressed isn't supported by Qt"
>>
>> All the other buttons work just fine (Back, Forward, Stop, Mail, Search,
>> Favorited, My Computer, Calculator, Sleep).  The Web/Home key is the
>> only exception.
>>
>> Anything I can do about it?
>>
> This is seriously odd.
>
> IIUC, KDE3 uses X11 to decode the keys.  I didn't realize that KDE4 used
>   QT to do it.  Perhaps this is a misleading error message.
>
> There is one thing you might look at which I have to do because I have a
> REAL IBM keyboard (you either love the click keyboard or you hate it)
> which only has 101 keys.
>
> In the Control Center (now named System Settings in KDE4) go to:
>
> 	Regional & Language -> Keyboard Layout
>
> In the "Layout" tab, check "Enable keyboard layouts".  Then see if you
> can find your keyboard in the drop down list.

I already have layouts enabled (I need to type texts in English, Greek
and German.)  I've selected the correct keyboard model too (Microsoft
Internet Keyboard).  I even have it in my xorg.conf (Option "XkbModel"
"microsoftinet").  It's weird though that every other "special" key
words except this one :P