KDE themes mouse cursor

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Sun Dec 27 03:20:33 GMT 2009

On Thursday 24 December 2009 02:56:58 Duncan wrote:
> Bob Stia posted on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:43:07 -0500 as excerpted:
> > Hello KDE4 people,
> >
> > I am very sight impaired. (macular degeneration)
>
> Ouch!
>
> > I have a very difficult time seeing many things on the themes shipped
> > with 11.2. Oxygen is the best so far but not great. I need something
> > with lots of contrast bold fonts of a decent size etc. Don't need or
> > want glitz. Just plain easily readable stuff.
>
> First, I don't know what 11.2 is.  It's not the kde version number, since
> the latest current release is 4.3.4.  Maybe it's your distribution
> version number, but you don't say which distribution and this is the kde
> list, not your distribution list.  Never-the-less, I'll assume it's the
> SuSE version number, since AFAIK that sounds about right for them.  That
> would mean you're running SuSE, but as this is a kde list not a SuSE
> list, you can't really assume that we'll know what version of kde you're
> using just because you say the version of distribution you're using.
> That info would be helpful, but this is a general enough question, we'll
> do without that info for now, and make the I think valid assumption that
> you're running SuSE and that the current version includes a reasonably
> current kde, tho it's likely not the latest...

 Hello Duncan,

You must be a very intuitive or logical person. You figured it out. SuSE 11.2.
My bad....should have been more explicit. KDE version is 4.3.1

> Next, on accessibility, make sure you have the kdeaccessibility package
> installed.  Your distribution may package it as a single package, or
> multiple split packages.  Here on Gentoo, the combined package is a meta-
> package that pulls in all the others as dependencies.  Here's the list of
> what it pulls in, in case you have them separate as well:
>
> kdeaccessibility-colorschemes
> kdeaccessibility-iconthemes
> kmag
> kmousetool
> kmouth
> kttsd

Thanks. I will check those packages out. I guess a simple rpm -q  will find
them?

> kttsd is the text to speech engine, and kmouth reads what you type
> outloud.  You'll probably find kttsd useful, at least.  kmousetool clicks
> the mouse for you -- not your problem.  kmag may be interesting, but kde
> already includes magnifier effects as an option (under desktop effects in
> kcontrol/systemsettings) as long as you have composite effects available.

Does kttsd or kmouth also read highlighted text, like a mail message for
instance? Think I checked it out back in 3.5 and it didn't work too well.

> You'll probably want the kdeaccessibility-colorschemes and iconthemes.  I
> don't have them installed at present, but as I recall, they DO include
> very high contrast themes, which is what you need.

OK

> You can then tweak fonts, colors and icons in kcontrol/systemsettings as
> necessary.

OK

> The other thing you'll need to set is plasma's themes.  These are
> selectable not from kcontrol, but from the desktop/activity settings
> dialog.  Here, I really don't know what would be best.  Maybe someone
> else has some idea.

That is where I set Oxygen. Default was Air. There were only a few choices.

> > I've gone to KDE look and searched for themes but it is hard to tell
> > what they actually look like unless you download and install them. That
> > could take forever. Hopefully some of you out there have seen a theme
> > that I can use.
> >
> > Also need to find a bigger bolder mouse pointer. How does one find that
> > in KDE4?  I have searched all through the desktop settings without
> > finding it.
>
> kcontrol/systemsettings, computer administration, keyboard & mouse,
> mouse.  That's the kcontrol applet.  The second tab is cursor themes.  Of
> course, you can only select from themes you have installed, but there are
> BIG versions of most of the default KDE cursor themes (kdebase-cursors
> package, here on Gentoo, part of the kdebase meta-package, of course).
> Your distribution likely has others, and kde-look should have still
> others.  Since mouse cursors are generic X, gnome-look and etc may have
> other useful choices, as well.

Thanks. Denis put me on to that and now I have an adequate mouse pointer.
Speaking of cursors, do you know of a way to make the flashing cursor while
typing bigger/fatter whatever? or is that hardcoded. I need it in Kmail,
Konsole, OoenOffice, etc.

Bob S