Spell checker not working in Kmail

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Sat Dec 26 20:58:56 GMT 2009

Running Kmail 1.12.3 under KDE 4.3.3 on Gentoo.  Options/Automatic
Spellchecking is checked and the status line at the bottom of Composer shows
"Spellcheck: on" but no spellchecking occurs.  Manually selecting
Tools/Spelling does not give any errors and shows the message "Spell check
complete."  But no mispelled words are marked, including nonsense strings like
"lakjdfh."

KDE's global language is set to US English.  Default language under Composer's
Settings/Spellchecker is likewise set to English.

I've spent awhile searching the web and can't find anything on configuring or
troubleshooting spellchecker other than the couple of settings mentioned
above.  I have both aspell and ispell installed on the system, although I
don't believe KMail uses either anymore.  The spellchecker is now supposed to
be called Sonnet but there doesn't appear to be a package for installing it,
so I assume that it's a part of the Kmail/Koffice install.

This is a recent install following a system crash and reinstall, and is the
same version of Kmail, KDE and the same distro that I was running previously,
and spellcheck worked normally there.  My home directory is mounted from a
different hard disk from the system, and all of my other KDE and Kmail
configurations were preserved, so it seems unlikely to be something in my
config.  Any clues or ideas on how to get this working would be greatly
appreciated.

--
"Once you have decided to keep a certain pile, it is no longer yours; for you
can't spend it." - Montaigne