su identification

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Dec 24 13:11:45 GMT 2009

You have confused the two commands.

su means "switch user" Let us assume that you have three users alpha, bravo
and root.  Let us assume for the moment that you are logged in as user alpha
and alpha's password is ahpla. Let us also assume that the password for bravo
is ovarb, and the password for root is master. I know that these passwords are
ridiculous, but this is for example.

I know that you are using a Debian based distro (Ubuntu) because you are
invoking the apt-get command. In such distros the first user alpha is set up
as a master user account and often the root account is disabled. This is good
for single user machines, but is a PITA for multiuser setups.

When you use su, if it has no arguments, it assumes that you wish to invoke
the root account and will demand Root account's password (in this case MASTER)
If you follow su with an account name (such as bravo) will will be prompted
for  bravo's password (in this case ovarb). When the correct password for the
TARGET account is entered, you will then be running as the target account (to
leave, type 'exit' or control-d)

Now, with distros such as Ubuntu, the root account is disabled, so su does not
work. A correct password (equivalent to MASTER) does not exist. You have to
type in sudo su. You then will have a root shell, and you can run "make
aptget".

sudo is a program that is designed to solve a difficult administrative
problem. How do you give an ordinary user power to perform an action (such as
managing printers) that normally requires root privileges without giving him
/her complete control over the machine?

Sudo looks up a special file - readable only by root - /etc/sudoers, which
lists who can do what under which conditions, and allows or denies the desired
action accordingly.

In the case of Ubuntu, the /etc/sudoers file states that the first user
(alpha) is given permission to do anything provided that ALPHA's password is
entered, and everyone else (bravo) nothing.

To modify the /etc/sudoers file a special editor (visudo) is used, because any
error in the format of the file will block sudo - this is intentional.

To activate the root account - not to be done unless you know what you are
doing, the /etc/passwd file has to be modified. A root password will have to
be created, and the shell command (usually /bin/false) changed to /bin/bash.

RedHat based distros such as Mandriva have a separate root password at
installation, and each user has a separate password. They use kdesu and su.
Sudo has to specially downloaded, because it is only needed in exceptional
cases.

Hope this helps.

Basil Fowler