Dolphin starts programs with a wrong current directory

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Dec 13 21:18:33 GMT 2009

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:43:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 12/13/2009 11:37 AM, James Tyrer wrote:

>> Perhaps, but if you launch an application and they try to store a file
>> from it and the directory that opens is the /bin directory where the
>> code is stored (a directory that you probably don't have write
>> permission for) I don't think that you would be very happy.
>
> No one does that.  Programs in /bin are in the K menu.  And even if not,
> they are in $PATH which means you can also run them with ALT+2.
>
> However, running a program in your home directory happens from time to
> time, and you do have write permissions there.

Well, you /can/ do it that way, but it's not what most will encourage you
to do.  That's what ~/bin is for, for user binaries.  And if the user
creates the scripts that run there, they can certainly store data for
them there as well... tho that too wouldn't be encouraged.  (FWIW, I'll
admit I  have my hotkey script's data stored in ~/bin along with the
script, but it's a quick hack that I'm not proud of that will probably
change at some point.  But I /did/ set it up such that the datafile
variables are set right at the top of the script, with the variable used
after that, so it's a simple matter of pointing that variable elsewhere
at some point, moving the file, and viola!  It's not like I simply
/assume/ the datafile is in the same dir.  That's the MSWormOS way, not
the *ix way, and I no longer do proprietaryware including MSWormOS!)