Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Fri Dec 11 14:48:16 GMT 2009

On 2009-12-11 14:02 UTC Draciron Smith wrote:
[...]
> I'm not understanding.  The applets offered in Krunner are just really
> links to apps you can call quickly and easily from the shell. The
> autocompletion is in the shell but the shell has by default a longer
> command history plus you can search it as well as having every
> console/X app at your disposal if you know enough of it's name too get
> it too autocomplete.  I'm sure for some folks Krunner is great but
> it's not giving any added value if you already have console windows
> open and are comfortable with them.
[...]

A few more examples what you can access with krunner quickly and easily:
- open a sub-folder of your home (for example ~/pics) by typing in pics
- open a remote folder via sftp, by typing in sftp://server/folder
- open a bookmark by typing (a part of) the name you assigned to it (where
  bookmark can be any kind of URL - http, ftp, sftp, ...)
- know that 5 gallons equal 18.9 litres by typing 5gal
and much more

So, in essence, krunner gives you access to anything without having to
navigate menus or even touch the mouse. I love it.

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4