Why KDE4 is called KDE? - Daciron Smith

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 11 11:55:36 GMT 2009

I nearly posted following Kevin's comment on microshaft and c++. Lets go back
to visual studio 4.  That was about the time that they started showing signs
of doing something about the insane amount of  typing involved in writing a
windoze program, not they have even now.  Much more could be done by the
complier.  This version of vs could come with a training video and it used
part of office as an example but clearly stated that this wasn't actually
written in C++ or C for that matter. Strong rumour at that time suggested
they were using pascal but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this included a
p code compiler. If I was Gates I would want my people using something far
more productive than the suites they sell. This in my view is what led to the
demise of Borland that actually a few people still seem able to use. It was
too good. Microsoft have killed of a lot of competition over the years and
not by offering superior products.

At one point and maybe even now it was possible to get the entire windoze
source written in C++ but once again this isn't what they actually use.
That's 2nd hand info as far as I'm concerned but I believe it's true.

On Daciron's comments on Vista uptake. True many have stuck with XP just as
many stuck with nt or 2000 but eventually uptake will be nigh on 100% for the
simple reason that they sell it cheap with new pc's. It takes time but always
does work in the end. That rather expensive CD with evolve until it has just
about everything a typical end user wants on it and yet more competition will
fall into the dust. In that respect the only hope really is that some one
nukes the place - :) so as to speak. Monopoly commisions  etc aren't prepared
to do anything about it for obvious reasons.

Gates and languages is an interesting subject. My view is that they change and
encourage change in  variety  of ways just to sell product. Developers are a
very lucrative market and rather than evolving a compiler why not just change
the language or evolve in a way that means users must change. There is a lot
more ,money in it. The words patent  and copywright  spring to mind.

Tempted to comment on C, C+,C++ and their evolution, the reason for them and
why they happened but wont. Much but by no means all has to do with Gates.
Afraid I pre date all of them but I'll still try kde4 when its' more stable.
I don't mind change but am getting the impression it's lost it's way a
little. I will also be interested to see if I can import all of my email
files and settings at one stroke as I will install onto a clean machine.

John
Snipped all of Mr Smith's post

Thanks for the mention of gambas must look at that.