Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Dec 10 12:43:04 GMT 2009

So:

On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 15:47:51 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > > I am not sure if this "you didn't not pay for it" ever comes from a
> > > contributor even less a developer.
> >
> > It came from Anne Wilson
>
> Interesting - I don't recall saying that.  Perhaps you could give the exact
> quote including the thread in which I said it.
>
> Anne

And later the same day
>It's distinctly unpleasant to be publically accused of something that you
>didn't do.  As far as I can remember I have never made that remark.

I did not keep the messages from this thread, I found some copies of answers,
Anne considers they don't confirm what I said she said, and she asks for
public apology. I'm not going to give any (because I don't think I did
anything wrong) but I will make public the few I have:

The original post (from me) that started all this included the following:

>But what I got for an answer (and I see others continue to get the same,
>although I don't know if this answer come from developers or from people
>speaking "for them", officially or not) is: it is so, change your way of
>using your computer or go look some other place, you did not pay for your
>software so how dare you come and criticise?

which Kevin put into quotation marks:

On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> I am not sure if this "you didn't not pay for it" ever comes from a
> contributor even less a developer.

Now these are the few comments/answers from Anne that I can give back exactly:

> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 October 2009 20:34:14 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> >> Are you saying that because a software is given for free I must just say
> >>  "how wonderful" whatever the people creating this software decide to
> >> do?
> >
> > No, you either enjoy it or walk away.  They owe you nothing.

(...)

On Wednesday 07 October 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> For the last time, it misses a few, but not many of the features of KDE 3,
> and every release brings yet more in.  Frankly, you have no right to be
> angry about how someone else uses their time, and you should be thankful
> that they give it freely.

On Thursday 10 December 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
(after reading what I just pu above)
> And nowhere there do I make the remark that you attributed to me.  You owe
> me an apology, as public as the accusation was.
>
> Anne

So, as far as I am concerned:
a) I never wrote that Anne had writen "you didn't not pay for it" exactly that
way, but I do imply she means it.
b) From what Anne wrote I understand that "because a software is given for
free" (me) " you either enjoy it or walk away.  They (the devs) owe you
nothing." and "But we don't have to read them (your comments), you see.  We
don't have to try to help you. We are volunteers too, and we can choose to
walk away from you." (Anne)

To me, that means that if I did not pay for the software the developpers owe
me nothing, don't have to listen to me and can choose to walk away from me
(which IS absolutely true!), so I don't feel I in any way attributed to Anne
a different message than the one I received.

So, this being put clearly on the list, I do apologize: for taking your time
for that private matter, I hope the case is close.

And Anne: there are differents ways to see things, I respect yours, you can
respect mine.

Cheers,

Thierry

Frank Zappa