Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Dec 9 20:36:40 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > Folderviews that work with NFS mounts are no problem whatsoever, as long
> > as the mounts are specified in fstab.  On-the-fly mounting is, as far as
> > I know, currently only available from the command line.
> >
> > FWIW, I have two small folderviews constantly on my desktop, displaying
> > directories on a remote box, both NFS mounts
>
> Right, but Thierry was explicitly addressing the mounting itself
> As far as I understand it the problem is not having a visual representation
> (icon, whatever) of an NFS resource/mount point that could be interacted
> with to perform mount operations.
(...)

> Cheers,
> Kevin

My mounts ARE specified in fstab as:

192.168.x.x:/folder   /mountpoint   /nfs   noauto,users,exec,rw  0 0

(which mounts perfectly under KDE 3).

Mounting from the command line (mount /mountpoint) works.
Creating a FolderView icon (link to device) is possible, but does not work
("only root can mount"). Once again, I need the noauto because most of the
time the nfs share is not accessible (the "server" not being turned on).

This is with openSuSE 11.1 and openSuSE 11.2, KDE 4.3.x
I did not try other distros, but I did search the Internet and have seen other
messages about the same problem, it being identified as a library bug, but
not being corrected.

Thierry