Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Dec 9 12:47:55 GMT 2009

On Tuesday, 2009-12-08, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > What are the applications and features that have changed for other
> > people?
>
> My showstopper is the mounting policy. As of now, there are two problems:
>
> a) mounting/unmounting devices requires using Dolphin. FolderView icons are
> possible but they don't work (users can't mount anything), so they are
> useless. Seems to be a bug in a library, so "there is a bug for that", but
>  it does not help me if it's not squashed.
>
> b) the same applies for nfs shares but that blocks all my work. I
>  regularely use shares that are on a "server" that is not always on. So I
>  can't mount the shares at boot, and I can't mount them later either (well,
>  I can at the command line of course).

That does sound like a rather severe limitation indeed.
Can you mount NFS shares from Dolphin?
I.e. is it a general limitation of just of the desktop?

> There are lots of othert anoyments, icons too big, clumsy panel, not yet
> working apps and fear that they brake my e-mail on the next release. All
>  this explains why:

I don't have a side-by-side comparison here but icons in toolbars and menues
seem to be of same size as they used to be. Iconsizes in Dolphin are
adjustable, in Folderviews as well as far as I can tell.
Which icons are you referring to?

And I think we will neither brake nor break your email on the next release.
Most of us rely pretty heavily on email, would be pretty stupid to let
anything bad happen to it :)

> > Yes, could be, but a lot of the over generalization happend due to not
> > being able to address certain KDE products separately, so people
> > complaining about one such product would do that in a form that leads to
> > misinterpretation and thus actually unrelated reactions.
>
> Good point. Seems to me that most "rants" fall in one of two categories:
>
> - app flaws / bugs / unstability
>
> - KDE 4 Desktop is not (doing what) KDE 3 Desktop (was doing)
>
> I am most concerned by the second (actually I can use KDE 4 apps from the
>  KDE 3 Desktop for the time) so perhaps we should establish a separate
>  ranting ground for KDE 4 Desktop unsatisfied?

Might be useful to get some focus on the actual issues instead of often too
generic ranting that diverts attention from fixing them.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring