Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 9 10:30:16 GMT 2009

Lydia Pintscher posted on Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:26:09 +0100 as excerpted:

> I see a fork coming in KDE. There is enough
>> revulsion for KDE 4 in the hard core KDE base too warrant a fork.
>> Whether the fork can attract enough coders to keep it viable will be
>> the question. Another question is which way existing KDE developers
>> will go. Not all of them can be happy with this abomination called KDE
>> 4. Starting to make XFCE look good.
>
> I don't know in which world you are living but this is simply not true.
> (I'm not even gonna comment on the rest of your email.)

Apparently, the idea isn't attracting many developers at all, or at least
none charismatic enough to form a following, because I've seen the idea
kicked around for some time now, but other than one individual I read
about, it doesn't seem to be happening, and that one individual isn't
going to be very effective at anything that big, forever, particularly
when qt3 is also unsupported, now.

It really does seem to be mostly a user-only movement, which is fine,
but /someone's/ gotta develop it.  I suppose even a single charismatic
user, however, could start a fund to pay for it to be done, but the Mark
Shuttleworths of the world are rather far between.