Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:03:14 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 15:51:46 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Actually only some did, mainly those which have a target audience geared
> towards new stuff.

Exactly.  Fedora made the change straight away - but you'd expect that.
Mandriva offered both, first with KDE3 as the default, then with KDE4 as the
default.  In both cases you were free to choose.

> I am still using KDE3.3 at work on RHEL4.7 and I think even if we upgraded
>  to  RHEL5.x (whatever is the most recent version) we would have KDE3.y
>  available there as well.

I use CentOS on my server, which has been running 5.x for some time - ISTR
that we are now on 5.3.  I can confirm that it uses KDE3 - e.g.
kdebase-3.5.4-20.el5.centos

As I have said many times, if you really want to stay with 3.5, the enterprise
distros still have it.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group