Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue Dec 8 12:36:16 GMT 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009 23:44:25 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Duncan wrote:
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
>
> May I ask what changes with free programs as long as you are no programer?
>  I love this affirmation but it's very theoretical for the average user....

No, it's not.

With free software any programmer with the necessary skills can modify the
program; even if you lack the skills there are a number of ways to get the
modifications you would like done.  It might not be without cost, but it is
available.

With non-free software some singular entity can simply refuse to allow the
software to be modified, either by not providing the preferred form for
modification or by exercising legal force to prevent use or distribution.

In practice, that singular entity rarely dismisses a modification entirely,
but does exert monopoly control.  Also, the number of programmers with the
necessary skills seems to be too few.

The traditional car analogy is that with a "free car" you can take it to any
mechanic to get work done on it.  Of course, the manufacturer doesn't have to
support or warranty modifications done by every mechanic, so there might be
some advantage to using theirs, even if you own a "free car".  However, if you
use a "proprietary car" or "non-free car" the manufacturer has sealed all the
mechanisms so that only their mechanics can reach them or has the legal
privilege and will to sue any mechanic that works on their cars without their
express permission or anyone that drives, buys, or sells one of their cars
that has been worked on without their express permission.

TLDNR: With free software their is a market for
support/maintenance/modification; with non-free software their in a monopoly
for support/maintenance/modification.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))