Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:35:04 GMT 2009

2009/12/8 Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon at decoulon.ch>:
> On Monday 07 December 2009, Steven Crooks wrote:
>> It's not even FUD, it's pointless ranting!
> (...)
>>KDE3 is _dead_!
>> Get used to it, or change to what ever serves you the best. That's one of
>> the best things in FOSS, you'll always have the choice!
>>
>> Just my 2 ¢
>>
>> Steven
>
> This stupidity is not even worth 2 ¢ (and is rude at that).
>
> We are quite a number of KDE 3 users that believe your "dead end" was/is "the
> best". I've come to discover the bad side of FOSS: if KDE was a commercial
> product, perhaps knowing that some users are unsatisfied would/could drive
> the developers to listen to them.
>
> What you are saying is the same Anne was telling me before: you did not pay
> for it, you have nothing to say, just be happy with whatever you get for
> free...
>
> I think I'm going to take a look at non free software because if OSS devs
> develop only for themselves, maybe I have more luck with devs that work for
> their users...
>
> I can tell you that if anyone keeps KDE 3 alive, I'll be glad to pay for it!

This guy has been maintaining his own KDE 3.5.10 branch with
backported bugfixes:
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

> Since I've started testing KDE 4 very little of the issues I had have been
> addressed. Part of them are exactly Istvan's.

Please send to me a list of them, either off list or in a new thread (cc me).

> But your answer explains it all: jump on the KDE 4 train or go your way, we
> have no interrest in what you think and any comment that is not supporting
> KDE 4 is "FUD" :(
>
> And Anne, don't come again with your favorite  "If you have a specific
> question will try to help you". As Istvan said, we want KDE 3 functionalities
> back, since none of the new functionalities of KDE 4 enhance our use of the
> desktop, we don't want workaround that let you do a complicated way what you
> used to be able to do the simple way.

The problem is that such a general statement as "KDE 3
functionalities" cannot be done. If you mention specific "KDE 3
functionalities" then we can address them point by point. And I agree
that there are many points to address.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com