Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Patricia Max pam at lampinc.com
Tue Dec 8 03:09:59 GMT 2009

The reply below is my feeling about KDE4.  I know that I am pretty set
in my ways.  I need a very stable environment for the genealogy research
I do as well as for my use of my own computer for my job (I currently
teach high school math).  I wanted to upgrade my Fedora system, but I
wound up with KDE4 which I probably can upgrade now to a later version.
However, it does not function the way KDE3 does, and I don't want to try
to sort out the issues.  I'm no computer dummy.  I was a sys admin for
Sun OS, HP-UX, SGI, and all sort of unix/linux software for MANY years
at a national laboratory.  I was and am a firm believer of unix/linux on
a PC as opposed to Windoze.  I used twm before there were X11 based
window systems supported by many vendors.  But at some point, I just
want to continue to use my computer to do what I have to do, not to sort
out all the nuances of KDE4 and how to make it work like KDE3.

So I'll continue with a less than adequate OS to have a window system
that works for me.  It's not optimal, but it's the only solution that
works for me.

Patricia Max