Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:48:03 GMT 2009

2009/12/7 Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org>:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 22:37, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anne, that was not FUD. In fact, it was not even the typical anti-KDE4
>> rant that usually begins or ends with that question. This time, it was
>> a legitimate question asked in a refreshingly non-trollish manner.
>
> Troll lesson #1: The best troll isn't obvious to a lot of people.

I am not a lot of people, and if you will grep the Fedora, *buntu,
Suse, and other lists you will see that I have defended KDE 4 from the
beginning and I have help tens of people file hundreds of bugs on KDE
4. This one was not a troll.

>> The truth is, KDE 4 breaks with KDE 3, KDE 2, and KDE [1||0] in many
>> important aspects, the most important of which is the core philosophy
>> of the project. KDE =< 3 was all about the users: it had many options
>> and had many "tricks" to make life easier. The user could customize it
>> to his exact needs. That was the whole "KDE thing": customization and
>> usability. KDE 4 breaks with that tradition. I know the reasons why. I
>> even agree with most of them. However, the simple fact remains that
>> KDE 4 breaks with the traditional KDE philosophy. Therefore, calling
>> it "KDE" implies things that KDE 4 does not provide. A different name
>> would have been wholly appropriate. And suggesting such is _not_
>> trolling, even though many trolls have done that in the past.
>
> Oh come on ;-)

Who?

The KDE name carried a lot of weight, and if you would have plucked me
from 2006 and placed me in 2009 with KDE 4 sans logos and apps, I
would have never guessed that it is KDE. It completely breaks with the
KDE tradition of configurability, configurability, configurability.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il