Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:44:16 GMT 2009

> 1. I would like to set my panel size to 46 points. In this panel I would like to set my clock as follows: time is shown as HH:MM:SS in boldface Sans Serif (ie Arial on my system) 17 points. Below this I would like the date to be shown as YYYY-MM-DD in normal Sans Serif 12 points size. How can I do this?

There is a bug for that.

> 2. I would like removable media icons (such as USB flash disk, CD-ROM, DVD, digital camera) to be placed onto the desktop when plugged in. I would like to be able to mount and unmount them manually, and remove them safely (ie eject, safely remove options in KDE3.5).

There is a bug for that.

> 3. I would like in certain cases to hide the panel manually. Autohide is not what I want.

There is a bug for that.

> 4. I would like to set panel transparency, background image. I could not find out how. I would like to use classical appearance, where I can see the borders of the tasks and widgets on the panel. How?

There is a bug for that.

> 5. I don't want to see those large bubbles when I move the mouse over a widget. How can I disable them? I would like to see normal, thin tooltips.

There is a bug for that.

> 6. I would like to see borders between system tray, taskbar, and other widgets. (In KDE3 they were called apllet handles.)

There is a bug for that.

> 7. I could not find out how to set theme/lookout so that it would look like my openSUSE KDE3.5 theme.

This you probably can't have. I do not know how your KDE 3.5 theme
looks, but you might be able to come as close to it in KDE 4 as you
would in Gnome or another desktop environment.

> I have a system with a 2.4 GHz CPU and ~700 MB of RAM. I guess many people has computers with weaker resources. KDE3 runs pretty smooth on this computer. KDE4 is noticeably slower.

I actually find KDE 4 to be snappier on older hardware than KDE 3,
especially with dual-core CPUs. It looks terrible as there are no
non-composting effects, but it flies.

> What makes KDE4 more similar to old KDE than to GNOME, XFCE, LXDE etc?
> I guess nothing.

Mostly nothing, I agree.

--
Dotan Cohen