RESOLVED - Where to make a feature request

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Aug 30 17:19:24 BST 2009

Duncan wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh posted on Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:48:10 -0500 as excerpted:
>

>> Back when Dolphin first came out and _everyone_ was cussing it I gave it
>> a try [ and rather liked it ]. Anyway, when you would pass over [
>> highlight] a file or folder a list of available options appeared in the
>> info pane. For directories/folders it would have an option to "Open
>> Terminal Here". A couple upgrades and that disappeared but was still
>> available from the right click menu. Lately that option seems to have
>> disappeared completely. At least I can't seem to find it.
>>
>> Now, I'm no command line wizard. I know just about enough to get myself
>> in trouble most of the time. [ If I had wanted to use command line for
>> everything I could have stayed with DOS. ]  I like the idea of using
>> dolphin to navigate the file system to get where I want a terminal
>> opened.
>>
>> All that to ask: Where can I post this feature to be returned?
>>
>> Kubuntu 9.04
>> KDE 4.2.2
>> Dolphin 1.2.1
>>

> 4.2.2 is a bit behind, tho it might be the latest available in some
> distributions.  There's the 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 bugfixes, and 4.3.0, with
> 4.3.1 coming out shortly.  Kde4 is still rapidly maturing, with some
> pretty big bug fixes every release, and if you're not running the latest,
> you're seeing bugs that have already been fixed.  So indeed, 4.2.2 is a
> bit behind.
>
> I'm running 4.3.0.  At least here, the open terminal here action still
> exists.  For a directory/directory-symlink icon, it's in the context
> menu, right click, actions, open terminal here.  For the currently open
> (not selected, the one actually displayed) directory, it's under the
> tools menu, open terminal.  (There's a default keyboard shortcut
> associated with it as well, shift-F4.)
>
> It's also possible to display a mini-cli [1] terminal panel directly in
> dolphin, if desired.  View, Panels, Terminal, is the toggle, F4 the
> shortcut (thus the shift-F4 above for launching a separate terminal
> window is a mod of the simple F4 mini-cli shortcut).

> [1] CLI: command line interface, as contrasted with GUI, graphical user
> interface.  Mini indicating it's a panel attached to another window,
> here, dolphin, not its own full CLI window like konsole.

Thank you so much. I tend to just follow whatever is in the current
release repos. Not push my luck.  Kubuntu 9.10 will be out soon and
maybe the newer version will be in there.

Anyway, it is still available I just hadn't found the trick for it yet.
I don't need it often but it's handy.

Lydia wrote:
> Hi  :)
>
> you can get a terminal inside dolphin for the current folder you are
> in by pressing F4. This is also available in the menu. Does that suit
> your needs?
> If not you can open a feature request on bugs.kde.org.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

Thank you also.

What a great bunch on here.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,