Permission to mount denied by Policy. What Policy?

rcdawson at att.net rcdawson at att.net
Sun Aug 23 16:42:00 BST 2009

I am using Mandriva 2009.1.  I found my self re-installing on a new hard drive in order to get my video card to work.  After the re-install I reconnected the old drive (keeping the new drive in place) and rebooted.  My plan was to copy my old home directory.  After reboot I found the old hard drive had been mounted as two "volumes" showing up in Dolphin.  When I tried to open either of those volumes I received a message org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:  org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed auth_admin_keep_always <--(action,result).

How do I get around this Policy?  Would it apply to any hard drive I install, or is it responding to the fact that Mandriva and KDE are installed on the second disk?

I suppose this is a matter of curisity more than necessity, at least at the moment.  I have copied my home to a USB drive, and that mounts OK and is accessible.  For future reference, however, this would be useful information.