K3b and mp3

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 21 12:17:36 BST 2009

Launching k3b under Fedora 11 brings the message

Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you will
not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux distributions do
not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library
as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be installed
but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some distributions allow
installation of Mp3 support via an online update tool (e.g. SuSE's YOU)

rpm -qi libmad    #snipped
libmad-0.15.1b-13.fc11.i586
Vendor: RPM Fusion
Packager    : <http://nonfree.rpmfusion.org/>
Description :
MAD is a high-quality MPEG audio decoder. It currently supports MPEG-1
and the MPEG-2 extension to Lower Sampling Frequencies, as well as the
so-called MPEG 2.5 format. All three audio layers (Layer I, Layer II,
and Layer III a.k.a. MP3) are fully implemented.

I also have madplay, from free.rpmfusion.org/

What am I missing?  Googling only brings up entries that are around 3 years
old.

Anne