due to compositing, probably ... Re: KDE 4.3 freezes too often now

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 19 13:56:28 BST 2009

Guido Pinkernell posted on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:39:49 +0200 as excerpted:

> It happened again today, with compositing enabled. Xorg.0.log.old shows
> lines 688 ff:
>
> (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines: (II) intel(0): Modeline
> "1280x800"x0.0   71.00  1280 1328 1360 1440  800 803 809 823 -hsync
> -vsync (49.3 kHz)
> (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768
> 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
> (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "CMO", prod id 4624 (II) intel(0): EDID
> vendor "SAM", prod id 896 [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably
> stuck in an infinite loop. [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator
> event; dropping. [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an
> infinite loop. [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
>
> before repeating the last two lines several hundred times.
>
> A search with keywords "xorg.0.log EQ overflowing" shows that this
> problem has been around for about one year already, mostly with debian
> based distros. No consistent solution found, yet.
>
> I guess I switch off compositing now and wait what happens

Keith Packard is the Intel guy who has been working on the kernel and
xorg drivers for Intel graphics chipsets.  Right now, they are farther
ahead than any others, having come thru a year of extremely intense
change.  /If/ you are running fully upto date xorg video driver and
kernel, things /should/ be calming down now, some, and it's rather likely
that he could use your bug filings and etc.  If either your xorg or
kernel is /not/ upto date, if you are /not/ running kernel 2.6.30.x or
even the 2.6.31 rcs, or the corresponding xorg xf86-video-intel drivers,
2.8.0 it looks like with a quick check on Gentoo, do try updating.  With
the Intel drivers, it's likely to make a difference.  If the problem
persists with upto date drivers, then as I said, Keith is likely to be
particularly interested in your bug, because he /is/ working very hard on
stabilization, ATM.

Also, what you have in your xorg.conf could be important.  I'm not
running Intel hardware myself (except on my netbook which I've not done
much with of late, it's still running what it came with, some Linux
distribution I had never heard of before) so can't give you any pointers
based on personal experience, but whether you're using XAA or EXA or UXA
2D accel may be critically important, as well as some other settings in
xorg.conf, whether you're running OpenGL or only XRender in KDE, etc.

The good news is that the Intel drivers /are/ ahead of everyone else, and
the worst changes are behind you, while Radeon users are just starting
the set of changes to bring them upto date, and nVidia... well, with
their mix of proprietary and open, they're a story unto themselves.  So
if Intel drivers aren't working right now, they should in the near future
as things calm down and everything stabilizes once again.