Fonts in applications not KDE4 are not changed

Torsten Frey torsten at tfrey.de
Tue Aug 18 20:33:55 BST 2009

Am Dienstag, 18. August 2009 19:56:40 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 16:18:11 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > On 08/18/2009 05:40 PM, Torsten Frey wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have just installed KDE4  ( openSuSE 11.1 / Repository
> > > KDE4:/UNSTABLE ->Version 4.3.64 ) and had this problem:
> > >
> > > Changing the fonts works for all KDE4 applications, but not for (some?)
> > > other applications like Amarok 1.4.
> > >
> > > So I installed package "kdebase3" (yes - 3!) and with "kcmshell fonts"
> > > I was able to configure the file "kde/share/config/kdeglobals" where in
> > > section [General] the fonts are set.
> > >
> > > So this worked for me - but isn't there a simpler solution in KDE4,
> > > that I do not see? Every change has to be done twice ...
> >
> > Nope.  From KDE4 you can only change fonts for Qt4 apps.  There's an
> > unofficial systemsettings module for Gtk apps too (I think it was this
> > one: http://code.google.com/p/gtk-qt-engine) but there's nothing for
> > Qt3/KDE3.
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/KWin#Make_Firefox_use_smaller_fonts may be useful
> to you.  It works for many gnome applications and ones that are not desktop
> specific
>
> Anne

Thanks. Will try that, too. Firefox is not installed yet --> no problem  :-)

I think there are more problems (how many?). For example I changed the
language from german to english. Then some applications (here: amarok) 1.4
still sung german. So I had to start "kcmshell language" (kcontrol from KDE3
will work also) to change these language settings to english, too.

I found this on http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4
<..>
Saftey advice
Our KDE4 packages use ~/.kde4 for storing settings and data. KDE 3
applications continue to use ~/.kde, even if used within KDE4 workplace.
<..>
This would confirm what Nikos said, that KDE4 does not configure any
KDE3-stuff.

But .. now:
<..>
If you have edited your .profile or .bashrc to change KDEHOME both KDE 3 and
KDE 4 applications will share the same config files. This will enable KDE 4
applications to 'upgrade' config files they find but KDE 3 applications will
probably be unable to use the updated files.
<..>
See also: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2006/11/msg00082.html

This sounds as interesting as brave. I think there can not be much damage if I
do this before migrating from KDE 3.5 .. will try this.

.. but not really usable for newbies with a Live-CD .. IMHO, there should be a
module in the personal settings that avoids these non-trivial workarounds to
change KDE3 settings, too!?

Regards, Torsten