Konqueror and proxy

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Aug 18 13:17:04 BST 2009

Alexander Puchmayr posted on Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:57:56 +0200 as excerpted:

> I feel a little bit fooled by the behaviour of the proxy-settings of
> konqueror in 4.3.0. I'd like to administer my cups-server, which is
> listening on 192.168.1.6:631. To bypass the proxy, I configured
> "http://192.168.1.6:631" as exception of the proxy settings (I use the
> manual configuration). The setting seems to be ignored, its going still
> over the proxy. So I added the same line with the IP-address replaced by
> the DNS-name of the cups-server. Still the same.
>
> Then I changed the configuration to "Direct connection", and retried. No
> success, I still get the error-message of the proxy. I reopened the
> configuration dialog, and the setting changed magically to "manual
> configuration" again, although I made sure I pressed "accept" and "OK"
> before. This is the point where I feel myself fooled by the software ...

One thing you may see when changing proxy config (I use a local privoxy
here, and have to bypass it on occasion, so I know) is konqueror using
its cached version of the page.  To avoid that, and as I have a fast
enough connection caching doesn't normally do much good anyway, I always
turn caching off, here.  So my konqueror doesn't use caching at all.
That helps.

But it looks like you may have another issue.  There are certain issues
with proxies remaining (konqueror sometimes refuses to connect properly
thru the proxy, gives a timeout well before any of the timeout settings
I've set have been reached, as if it doesn't see the proxy at all), but
I've not seen konqueror (4.3.0 same as you) refuse to honor proxy setting
changes here.

Anyway, do see if either hitting ctrl-refresh (holding ctrl should force
a full refresh, without ctrl it might use cached data), or disabling
cache entirely, as I have, makes a difference.  If it doesn't, it may be
time to check for open bugs and file one if you see none, or add your
comment and probably cc yourself to an existing bug if you find one.