due to compositing, probably ... Re: KDE 4.3 freezes too often now

Guido Pinkernell guido.pinkernell at gmx.de
Mon Aug 17 15:43:39 BST 2009

Am Montag 17 August 2009 15:35:20 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> 2009/8/17 Guido Pinkernell <guido.pinkernell at gmx.de>:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > it happens several times a day while using firefox or konqueror as an
> > internet browser, that KDE 4.3 freezes completely. It appears that a file
> > download still continues in the background, but the keyboard is dead, and
> > the mouse pointer still moves but does nothing else. There is no way to
> > get the computer back to work except doing a cold reboot.
> >
> > I have no idea why this happens. What I know is that this has not
> > happened yet with other apps than firefox or konqueror. And I can't
> > repeat this behaviour by, say, going back to that internet site on which
> > KDE has collapsed last.
> >
> > So my two questions:
> >
> > Is there a way of logging all KDE activity into a file so that I would be
> > able to track down what happens? (I have checked with help and kde.org
> > but can't find any information.)
> >
> > I don't like cold reboot. Is there any other way of shutting down the
> > system? However, keyboard and mouse don't work, so I guess there isn't
> > any.
> >
> > System info:
> >
> > openSUSE 11.1, KDE 4.3 release 155
> >
> > Thank you for your help!
> >
> > Guido

KDE just did it again

> Can you Control-Alt-Backspace your way out of the X server?

No.

> How about
> "Raising Elephants"?:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_mnemon
> ic_device

Yes. Thanks a lot, Dotan. I didn't know about this. Very useful indeed!

This still leaves the question how to log KDE activity. Actually, it looks as
if this "freezing" has something to do with compositing being activated. KDE
hasn't yet failed after compositing had been disabled.

Actually, doing research with composite effects added brings up the following,
so it seems that I am not alone. Different to the report: I am using an intel
945 GM chipset with driver "intel" activated in xorg.conf.

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=65655&sid=76e6fe30c43d31ce9171ece53646adf1

Guido