KDE 4.3 freezes too often now

Guido Pinkernell guido.pinkernell at gmx.de
Mon Aug 17 12:30:29 BST 2009

Hi list,

it happens several times a day while using firefox or konqueror as an internet
browser, that KDE 4.3 freezes completely. It appears that a file download
still continues in the background, but the keyboard is dead, and the mouse
pointer still moves but does nothing else. There is no way to get the computer
back to work except doing a cold reboot.

I have no idea why this happens. What I know is that this has not happened yet
with other apps than firefox or konqueror. And I can't repeat this behaviour
by, say, going back to that internet site on which KDE has collapsed last.

So my two questions:

Is there a way of logging all KDE activity into a file so that I would be able
to track down what happens? (I have checked with help and kde.org but can't
find any information.)

I don't like cold reboot. Is there any other way of shutting down the system?
However, keyboard and mouse don't work, so I guess there isn't any.

System info:

openSUSE 11.1, KDE 4.3 release 155

Thank you for your help!

Guido