Permanently maximize the panel in KDE4?

Paul Hartman paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 16:03:46 BST 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Anne Wilson<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hmm - maximised is the default.  I'm inclined to think that you have
> accidentally moved the sliders that appear when you have the configuration
> panel open.  Try experimenting with them.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I sometimes use the sliders to maximize it
(ensuring they snap to the sides), sometimes use the maximize menu
option. I don't accidentally use them and the only time I ever open
the configuration is to fix the width.

I'm curious about what the Maximize menu option does. It doesn't
appear to be a persistent setting (it doesn't stay highlighted like
"Always Visible" or the panel alignment) so I would be led to believe
it's a one-time shortcut to stretch the bar out to the current
screen's width, equivalent to using the sliders.

If I change resolution while running KDE, it behaves properly and
keeps it maximized. It only seems to happen when I log in and out with
different screen sizes. For example, I log out of KDE when I leave the
house, and I use NX with a 1280x960 window while I'm away from home,
also logging out when I'm done, then I log in locally with 1600x1200
at which point the panel is only 1280 pixels wide and I have to
re-maximize it.