burn .dmg with k3b

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Oct 9 19:16:27 BST 2008

On 2008/10/09 18:50 (GMT+0200) Kevin Krammer composed:

> On Thursday 09 October 2008, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I have some .dmg files made with Mac OS X that I need burned to CD, but
>> don't have a Mac with a burner. In my 3.5.5 K3B I don't see anything
>> anywhere in its menus about burning a .dmg to CD or DVD. Is this possible
>> in any later K3B version, or some other Linux app?

> Isn't a dmg file just a normal data file from the point of view of the burning
> application?

AFAIK, it means disk image. It's how Firefox gets downloaded to a Mac. The
.dmg gets mounted, then you drag the FF folder from the mounted volume to the
applications folder to "install" it, after which you "trash" the mounted
volume and the downloaded .dmg to regain the space and clear the download
target. AIUI, when a .dmg file is created from a bootable CD, the Mac disk
utility can write it back to a CD to remain as bootable as the original. I
tried renaming the .dmg to .iso, but K3B doesn't recognize the format when it
tries to prepare to burn.

> I.e. just create a data CD or DVD with that file on it?

I would have no hope that such a CD would be bootable without finding or
being given evidence to the contrary.
--
"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and
slow to become angry."		James 1:19 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/