kde4 makes PC slowlier ???

Goodhorse franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Mon Oct 6 15:25:23 BST 2008

Thierry de Coulon 在 2008 年 10 月 6 日 Monday 03:16:49 時寫道:
> Hmm.. Is this a troll? Or have you no idea of computers?
>
> So, just in case the second option is true:
> If you configured "all features of animation" then of course the CPU and
> the GPU have a lot more computation to do - so your computer is slower.
>
> And when you use a higher resolution the "same graphic card" has a lot more
> pixel to draw, and more things to put in memory, so it's slower.
>
> Nothing but normal. If you have a "stink-normal AMD-32 bit system" it means
> you have an *old* system. KDE 4 won't turn it into a *new* system, and
> actually everything you just did is stupid, because you are trying to use
> features on your old system that have been developped for more powerful
> systems.
>
> Keep KDE 3.x and use your higher resolution, that's it
>
> Thierry

One of the user in our community once told me the same thing.  He did not turn
on any animation or desktop effect, and used the same resolution as in KDE3.
He found that KDE4 was *actually* slower than KDE3.

For me it is also a true statement.  Especially in an old system which KDE3
could run smoothly, KDE4 would be a lot slower.  It's luck that my boss agreed
to let me change my daily work PC to a dual core Intel and with 1GB memory,
and now the speed of KDE4 is OK to me, although animation is still not very
smooth.  I'm just wondering why KDE4 is slower than KDE3.  I guess that KDE4
may need more effort to fine tune its performance, since it changed a lot due
to changing the whole framework.

Anyway, I'm in love with KDE 4.1, and I appreciate the developers a lot.

Franklin