kde4 makes PC slowlier ???

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:17:26 BST 2008

On Sunday 05 October 2008 19:24:46 Carl-Valentin Schmitt wrote:
> I have a stink-normal AMD-32-bit System ... ( not 64-Bit )
>
> I configurated KDE4 with all features of animations and so on in its
> "control-center".
>
> result is, that PC is damn slowlier than in KDE3 - how comes that ???
>
> when I change then from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 mode, then it is quicker
> again ...
>
> but this should not happen because graphic-card is the same ?

Val, it takes a very powerful computer to do all that, and frankly many of us
don't have that kind of power yet.  Here's what I'd suggest.

Stick with  1280x1024.  If you can afford to upgrade your graphic card it
might pay you to do so, but read a lot first, as there are problems with some
NVidia cards.

Turn off ALL desktop effects at first, and get used to the speed that your
system gives you, so that you know what you are comparing with.

Assess the desktop effects for the advantage they can give you and make a list
of the ones most likely to be useful.

Add desktop effects one at a time so that you can note their effects and
disable any that you find to be particularly resource-hungry.

Hope that helps

Anne