KDE printing disasters

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:41:33 BST 2008

On Friday 03 October 2008 04:38:36 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > I'm completely stumped with the bug report.  This problem is not confined
> > to any end-user application, but to the printer properties control, as
> > far as I can see.  Searching on bugs.kde.org against 'printer properties'
> > doesn't bring up anything.  What application should I file this against?
>
> Try kprint or kprinter.

I've resolved the problem, but need an opinion as to whether to go ahead with
a bug report.

I ran kprinter from krunner - not from a document.  There I found that it was
using rolodex size (4 x 6 index card?) as the default.  This was, apparently,
overriding anything I set anywhere else.  I had set the print options in the
new print dialogue to A4, and the advanced page seemed to show that the paper
size was A4, yet it was using the index card size and scaling everything to
print.

Having made the change in kprinter and saved it, the problem is resolved.  In
all the installs I've ever done, in any of the four distros I've used, I've
never seen this behaviour.  I suspect that the problem is this change-over
period where two packages are attempting to control printing, causing
conflicts.  What do you think?

Anne