Kdesktop_lock widget positioning (KDE 3.5)

Andrew Reid reidac at bellatlantic.net
Fri Nov 28 17:33:37 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008 11:15, Kishore wrote:
> On Friday 28 Nov 2008 9:32:10 pm Andrew Reid wrote:

> >   The issue is that, when I lock the screen, and then unlock
> > it, the unlocking widget is positioned in the center of the
> > dual-monitor desktop, right smack on the "seam" between the
> > two monitors.
> >
> >   I'd like to move this widget to the center of one of the
> > monitors.
> >
> >   I found a setting for the KDM greeter, there's a
> > "GreeterPos" setting in the "X-*-Greeter" section of
> > /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, which accepts percent-of-x-extent
> > and percent-of-y-extent arguments.  This is wonderful.
>
> What you describe is a good workaround for the time being but hardly a
> solution. I do not have a multi-monitor setup to test but you should be
> filing a bug for this. There was some buzz around "fixing" multi-monitor
> setups in both plasma and kwin in kde4 but that's how much I know.

  OK, I can do that.

> I would say that both KDM and the screen lock should perhaps appear on the
> primary desktop. File a bug and let us know - I will vote for it! :)

  I think that isn't general enough -- if I'm understanding this
"TwinView" business correctly, it's making a "virtual screen" at the
device level, and by the time you're up to KDE, the monitors are
virtualized together, and all it knows about is a single 3360 x 1050
screen.
  I think the percent-of-extent spec is good for command-line
junkies like me, and for GUI enthusiasts, probably the right thing
is to make the widget draggable in some kind of configuration mode.

				-- A.
Andrew Reid / reidac at bellatlantic.net