Xmessages being duplicated on next bootup, and logging in

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Nov 23 19:29:30 GMT 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 00:34, g wrote:

> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >> Well the one showing the distro curentlly booted up is as below, and
> >> only one line.
> >> xmessage "Kubuntu-Gutsy-Gibbon-7.10"
>
> in other words, you are supplying distrib, version, and last update.
>
> excuse me, but i do not see need or reason. please enlighten me.

I have a bunch of distros installed on this machine, as I do on my other 2
machines. It is often not easy to know which distro is currently running, as
the desktop backgrounds are pretty much the same on all distros, and an
xmessage identifying the distro resolves the problem, but if I fail to close
the xmessage before logging out and rebooting, I then get 2 instances of the
xmessage as the script is run again when next logging in.

Regarding the "last update" xmessages.

Some of my distros are not booted up as often as others. On all my distros I
have created a History-files folder in /home/user. When I do updates I save
the Konsole output, with the date, to the History-files folder. When I next
boot some distro or other, the xmessage shows when the distro was last
updated. I hope you see where I'm going here.

It's not a big problem to close the xmessages before logging out/shutting
down/rebooting, and I don't want to not save the session, as there may be
some stuff that I want to be restored when I next login.

I suppose the question is. How do you stop these xmessages being saved, as
part of the session save, so that when you next login you don't get
duplicates of them, when the the scripts in .kde/autostart are run again.

This isn't a big deal, and I can work with this as it is.

Nigel.