K-menu has no applications listed -kde 4.1.3 - Gentoo - they seem to have been deleted after I tried to edit the menu with kmenuedit]

Lanny Trager lanny at cybernex.net
Wed Nov 19 01:16:05 GMT 2008

KDE 4.1.3 on Gentoo kernel version doesn't matter I get the problem with
all kernels

I tried to delete some items using kmenuedit - it didn't work - I tried
"restore system menu" and it seems to have deleted all of the applications
from my menu.

Google has not been my friend on this one

Searching through the mailing lists has not helped

irc was another dead end for me

I found an applications.menu file in ~/.config/menus that looks like the
one I'd like the K-menu to use.

Does anyone know where I need to place this file to get K-menu to read
and use it?

Additionally, I got some more hints form this thread: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=120750354400803

/usr/share/applications/kde

and /usr/share/applications/kde4

have some applicaitons in them (BTW are these both used by kde4?) however none of them show up in the "All Applications" part of K-Menu.  None of them have "NoDisplay=" true of false in them.

kdesu konqueror -> application shows all of the installed applications, ideally I'd like to get to display all of these in the menu and be able to edit the menu to not display some of them.

Your help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Lanny