Text Effects?

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 11 09:09:39 GMT 2008

Kishore wrote, On 11/10/08 20:08:
> On Sunday 09 Nov 2008 9:03:44 pm Jerry Houston wrote:

>> Other email clients are able to translate the conventional *bold*,
>> _underscore_, and /Italic/ text modifiers into those effects in the reading
>> pane.
>>
>> Thunderbird dos this, although not well.  (It leaves the format characters
>> in place, which is distracting.)  Outlook Express, with the OEQuoteFix
>> add-on, does this very well, applying the effect to the enclosed text and
>> removing the format characters.

FWIW, you can tell mozilla apps to NOT display the original characters by using
Content chrome via the '.../chrome/userContent.css' file:

This is defined for example at:
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#18

You can change the default display attributes via something like:

/* change Mozilla's * bolding to something else */
b.moz-txt-star {
  font-style: bold;
  color: white;
  background: blue;
}

as well.

I can't, unfortunately, tell you how you might do this in kmail, but i don't immediately
see any 'css' type equivalence in the Debian 'kmail' package contents.

On quick glance it appears to me that this type of thing would be handled via the
/usr/lib/kde3/libkmail_bodypartformatter*  plugin libs, but the documentation on this
seems nearly non-existent. (and i see no plugin interface selection in Kmail's
configuration interface)

--stephen