How to print to pdf?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 23:52:15 GMT 2008

Em Sáb 08 Nov 2008, John Layt escreveu:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008 19:45:04 Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > It makes sense, and it is supported, but it's currently not
> > possible due to a bug in Qt which, IIRC, is fixed for KDE 4.2.
> > There's a bug in KDE's bugzilla about this.
>
> Actually, it was fixed in Qt 4.4.1,if you have that installed a
> number of print dialog issues disappear.

I have 4.4.3 installed and, as a matter of fact, some print problems I
had before are indeed gone. This one persists, however.

> > I, for one, receive every month a password protected PDF file,
> > which I like to archive without the password protection. So, I used
> > to print the protected PDF to another PDF file. The result would be
> > a non-protected file.
> > However, currently I can get this done only by installing cups-pdf
> > and using it as a PDF printer.
>
> Interesting use-case, not one I had thought of.  Wouldn't something
> like pdftk be more suited to this?

It does the job too, but it's a bit less practical/more complicated to
use. Until now, cups-pdf has been ok for what I need to do. Another
use-case for which I often need to print PDF to PDF is to generate a
PDF with parts of another PDF (choosing the pages I want in the new
one). But I can use cups-pdf for this too.

> Anyway, don't expect  support for
> it anytime soon, there's a few technical issues we need Qt to address
> first before Okular can support high quality file printing.

Sorry to hear that... However, no need to hurry. There's a number of
ways to bypass this problem.

[]'s
Marcelo