kstartupconfig ?

Jerry Houston Jerry at effjayare.net
Sun Nov 9 22:02:57 GMT 2008

On Sunday 09 November 2008 12:51:31 Anne Wilson wrote:

> Funnily enough, I met exactly this error message yesterday.  All I needed
> to do was to boot into single user mode, then chown -R username:groupname
> /home/username for the remaining users.

That wasn't a complete solution for me, but it sure got me on the right track.

Turns out her local user ID was 1000 (it's *her* system).  Her NIS user ID is
1001 (she was the second one added to the NIS server).  My NIS user ID is 1000
(I was the first one added to the NIS server).

So there were a big bunch of directories and files on her machine that now
showed *me* as the owner.

Turns out that chown has a --from=user:group option that let me modify all the
directories and files on her system that had me as the owner, to make them
hers.  Problem solved.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.  I've learned something -
that makes this a great day!