kstartupconfig ?

Jerry Houston Jerry at effjayare.net
Sun Nov 9 20:17:23 GMT 2008

I removed a local user account on my wife's openSuSE 11.0/KDE 4.1.3
workstation, because it was apparently blocking access to the NIS account by
the same name.

Now the logon screen displays both of our NIS user names, but when the
password has been typed, pauses for a few seconds, then displays a message
saying something like, "Unable to start kstartupconfig.  Check your setup."

I haven't been able to find anything about kstartupconfig anywhere in YaST.
Where should I look in order to "check my setup"?  What writes to that
configuration, and what should I do to fix whatever's wrong?

I tried recreating her local user account, so she could use her computer until
I figure out the domain issue, but was told that there was a conflict with an
NIS account with the same name.  D'uh!  Obviously, that conflict is what I was
trying to resolve by removing the local account in the first place.

Thanks in advance for a clue - she *really* wants to use her computer again.